KFHC operations remain open for our Members and Providers. However, our lobby is closed to visitors until further notice. When Members, Providers, Community Partners, Vendors and Community Members need to contact KFHC, please call us or your KFHC contact directly for the help you need. To speak to KFHC Member Services, our 24 Hour Advice Nurse Line or the KFHC Transportation Department, please call 661.632.1590 (in Bakersfield) or 800.391.2000 (outside of Bakersfield). Members can also log in to their Member Portal account by clicking "Member Portal" above to use many helpful self-service tools available to them. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding! We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
A Message for our Members
Kern Family Health Care wants our members to stay safe and healthy. We are changing the way we help our members get care so that you are not exposed to others unless it is necessary. We are asking our members to be patient with these changes and to do your part by following the steps below to keep you and your family safe.
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a new type of coronavirus that causes disease. The disease causes symptoms that may be less serious, like a cold, and can become more serious causing respiratory (breathing) issues.
What KFHC is doing to help you and your family stay safe and get the care you need.
- We will cover the cost of medically necessary screenings, testing and treatment for COVID-19 (see how to get care below).
- We are working with our contracted providers to provide telehealth (see what telehealth is below).
- We will quickly respond to requests from your doctor for approvals of medically necessary treatment.
- We may waive prior authorization of your prescription if there is a shortage of your prescribed medicine and your doctor prescribes a different drug for you.
- We are extending your prescription supply from a 60 day supply to a 90 day supply for maintenance medications (medicines that treat conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure and asthma).
- We will provide transportation if you do not have transportation and need to be seen by your doctor or go to the urgent care. Click here to learn more about the transportation benefit.
How to get care
- Call your doctor or clinic to find out how to get tested or medical care
- You can call Kern Family Health Care at 661.632.1590 (Bakersfield) or 800.391.2000 (outside of Bakersfield) 24 hours a day/7 days a week and press option “9” to listen to a pre-recorded message about COVID-19. If you want to talk to a doctor over the phone for free, then press “0” at the end of the message.
- You can also talk to a nurse over the phone for free by calling the KFHC 24 Hour Advice Nurse Line at 661.632.1590 (Bakersfield) or 800.391.2000 (outside of Bakersfield). The nurse will help you and send you to a doctor if you need medical care.
Should you be screened?
You should be screened if:
- You have traveled overseas or to an area highly infected
- You were in contact with someone known to have COVID-19
- You feel sick with a fever, cough, or have trouble breathing
Contact your doctor/clinic or call Kern Family Health Care to find out how to get screened.
What is social distancing?
Social distancing is staying out of public places such as restaurants and stores when you can, keeping about 6 feet of space between you and another person when you are out in public, and only have contact with people, other than your family, when you have to.
How can you protect yourself and your family?
There is no vaccine today that will prevent you from getting COVID-19. The best way to prevent illness is to not be exposed to it. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends the best way to prevent illness is to do these actions everyday:
- Stay away from others who are sick.
- Wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use hand sanitizer if you are not able to use soap and water.
- Try not to touch your eyes, nose, and mouth before you wash your hands.
- If you feel sick, stay at home until you feel better.
- Use a tissue or your sleeve to cover your nose and mouth when coughing or sneezing.
Clean objects and surfaces that are used a lot with a disinfectant cleaner.
Should you wear a face mask?
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends wearing a cloth face covering in public settings where you might be close to other people, for example if you have to go to the grocery store or pharmacy. Remember to stay at least 6-feet apart from others, as social distancing remains important to slowing the spread of the virus.
Is there a cure for COVID-19?
There is no treatment or cure for COVID-19. If you feel sick, you may get treatment from your doctor to help your symptoms.
Where can you learn more about COVID-19?
Online resources where you can learn more about COVID-19
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
California Department of Public Health
California Coronavirus COVID-19 Response Page (Bilingual)
Kern Public Health COVID-19 FAQ Page
Kern Behavioral Health and Recovery Services
2-1-1 Kern County (Bilingual)
Other helpful resources
California COVID-19 Information Line 833.544.2374
In partnership with 2-1-1 Kern County. A one-stop shop to answer your questions and get assistance during this crisis. For example, helps seniors get grocery and medication delivery while staying at home.
Kern Family Health Care Member Letter (Bilingual)
Resources for senior citizens
Kern County Aging and Adult Services 800.510.2020
Institute on Aging's "Friendship Line" 800.971.0016
Provides a 24-Hour helpline and crisis line for older adults
“Feeling Good & Staying Connected”
Activity guide and weekly planner
Elder or Dependent Adult Abuse that occurred in Kern County 24 Hour Hotline: 800.277.7866
American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) Fraud Watch Helpline: 877.908.3360
Alzheimer’s Association 24 Hour Helpline: 800.272.3900
2-1-1 Kern County
Available 24 Hours a day/7 days a week - dial 2-1-1 to be connected with an Information and Referral Specialist who utilizes a resource directory to research and provide the information requested.