Skip to main content

Find a doctor, hospital or clinic

Provider search

As a plan member, you have access to highly qualified providers as well as hospitals and pharmacies near you. But in order to receive plan-approved care, you have to choose a primary care provider (PCP) who accepts Kern Family Health Care (KFHC).

If you have not selected a PCP on your enrollment form, KFHC will automatically assign you to a PCP. Following the steps for selecting and changing your PCP is easy.

Selecting a primary care provider

Each enrolled family member must be assigned to a PCP. Families may choose different providers for each enrolled family member.

Plan members cannot choose a specialist as their PCP. In most instances,* you need a referral from your PCP and KFHC approval to see a specialist.

*You do not need a PCP referral or prior approval from KFHC to visit an OB-GYN or vision provider.

Here are the types of doctors you can choose to be your PCP:

  • Family medicine providers. This option is for adults and children only.
  • Internal medicine providers. This option is for adults only.
  • OB-GYNs. This option is for women only.
  • Pediatricians. This option is for children only.

Using the Kern Family Health Care (KFHC) Provider Directory

Please use the KFHC Provider Directory (English and Spanish) and follow its instructions to select PCPs for your family and yourself. The Provider Directory can also help you find plan-approved hospitals, urgent care facilities and clinics near you.

All providers in this directory have received cultural and linguistics training.

Certain providers or hospitals do not provide some plan-approved services that you or a family member may need. These could include:

  • Family planning.
  • Contraceptive services, including emergency contraception.
  • Sterilization, including tubal ligation.
  • Infertility treatments.
  • Abortion.

Be sure to get all of the information you need about your prospective PCP and their practice before you select them. You can call your prospective provider, medical group, independent practice association or clinic to learn more. You can also call us to learn more.

If you have any questions or issues regarding our Provider Directory or our online search tools, please email us at or call our Member Services Department at 661.632.1590 (Bakersfield) or 800.391.2000 (outside of Bakersfield). If you relied on incorrect, incomplete or misleading directory information and would like to file a grievance, please use our secure online grievance form.

How to change your PCP

You can change your assigned PCP by calling KFHC's Member Services Department at 661.632.1590 for Bakersfield residents or 800.391.2000 for residents outside of Bakersfield, or by logging into your KFHC Member Portal account. A KFHC Member Services Representative will be happy to assist you with this process. For further instructions about how to register for your KFHC Member Portal account, please visit the Apply to be a member page.

Choosing an eye doctor

We contract with Vision Service Plan to provide you with vision care. To choose your eye doctor, visit the Vision Service Plan site and search for providers using "Medicaid" as the doctor network.

Other service providers

Please visit our Community Supports Services page for more information about these services and full listing of our Community Supports Service Providers.

Please visit our Enhanced Care Management page for more information about these services and a full listing of our Enhanced Care Management Providers.