Interested in becoming a member of Kern Family Health Care (KFHC)? Get the information you need and follow the steps below to join our plan.
Because we offer affordable health insurance through California's Medi-Cal program, you must first be accepted for Medi-Cal before joining KFHC.
Medi-Cal is a California healthcare program that helps people get affordable health, dental and vision insurance. It covers adults, families, older adults, and people with disabilities who meet the income requirements. Medi-Cal can also provide retroactive benefits up to three months prior to the date of your application.
To qualify for Medi-Cal, you must have an income at or below 138% of the federal poverty level. That equals an annual income of $18,755 for an individual and $38,295 for a family of four. To learn more about the federal poverty level, explore the chart below:
|Family Size||138% Poverty Level|
|Each Additional Person||Add $6,514|
Medi-Cal is a California healthcare program that helps people get affordable health insurance. The state of California determines who is eligible for Medi-Cal. KFHC has no control over who qualifies for Medi-Cal. You can learn more about who qualifies for Medi-Cal by visiting our Why Choose Us page.
If you believe you're eligible for Medi-Cal, you can apply for the program using one of the following methods:
- Online. Visit BenefitsCal to apply for benefits. This is a secure site, and all your information will be safe.
- By phone. Call the Kern County Department of Human Services at 877.410.8812 to see if you qualify for Medi-Cal.
- In person. Talk to the Kern County Department of Human Services, doctor, clinic or visit a Family Resource Center in your community. Many of these offices have staff available who can help you apply.
Learn more at the following websites:
Clinca Sierra Vista Health Insurance Assistance Program
OMNI Family Health Patient Navigation and Eligibility Services
Community Health Initiative of Kern County – Health Insurance
Family Resource Centers
After you've been accepted to Medi-Cal, you can select a health plan of your choice. To select KFHC as your health plan, follow these instructions:
- Fill out a Medi-Cal Choice Form. Fill out this form to select KFHC as your health plan. If you need a form, contact Health Care Options (HCO) at 661.633.7201 or 800.430.4263. Follow the instructions and answer every question on the form.
- Choose Kern Family Health Care on your Medi-Cal Choice Form. In the Health Plans section of your Medi-Cal Choice Form, completely fill in the oval next to "303 Kern Family Health Care." Be sure to choose a primary care provider (PCP) so we can assign you to the PCP of your choice when we get your enrollment form.
- Confirm your enrollment. HCO will send you a letter to confirm that you are enrolled as a member of KFHC. It may take 15 to 45 days to receive your confirmation.
Once we learn that you've selected KFHC for your health plan, we will mail you a member ID card and other membership materials you'll need. Please continue to use your regular Medi-Cal services while you wait for your membership materials.