Español Text Only Version Careers Current RFP Contact Us
Kern Family Health Care
Print Share Text Size
Home Potential Members For Members For Providers About Kern Health Systems
For Members
Medi-Cal Benefits
Find a Doctor, Hospital or Pharmacy
Medication Search
Care After Hours
Health and Wellness
Helpful Information
Behavioral Health
Member Newsletters
Interpreting and Translation Services
KFHC Notice of Non Discrimination
Calendar of Events
Contact Us
Fraud Reporting
KFHC Notice of Non Discrimination

Notice of Non-Discrimination

Discrimination is Against the Law


Kern Family Health Care complies with applicable Federal civil rights laws and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.  Kern Family Health Care does not exclude people or treat them differently because of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex.

          Kern Family Health Care:

§  Provides free aids and services to people with disabilities to communicate effectively with us, such as:

·        Qualified sign language interpreters

·        Written information in other formats (large print, audio, accessible electronic formats, other formats)

§  Provides free language services to people whose primary language is not English, such as:

·        Qualified interpreters

·        Information written in other languages

          If you need these services, contact Kern Family Health Care.


If you believe that Kern Family Health Care has failed to provide these services or discriminated in another way on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, disability, or sex, you can file a grievance with: Kern Family Health Care, 9700 Stockdale Hwy., Bakersfield, CA 93311, 1-800-391-2000, fax- 661-664-5179, You can file a grievance in person or by mail, fax, or email. If you need help filing a grievance, Kern Family Health Care is available to help you.


You can also file a civil rights complaint with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, electronically through the Office for Civil Rights Complaint Portal, available at, or by mail or phone at:


U.S. Department of Health and Human Services

200 Independence Avenue, SW

Room 509F, HHH Building

Washington, D.C. 20201

1-800-368-1019, 800-537-7697 (TDD)

Complaint forms are available at