Kern Health Systems Offers A New School Wellness Grant Program!
Kern Health Systems dba Kern Family Health Care is dedicated to improving the health status of our members through an integrated managed health care delivery system. In 2015, Kern Health Systems (KHS) members less than 21 years of age accounted for 56% of its membership. Review of KHS’ top paid encounters revealed the primary diagnosis associated with routine child health exams is obesity. To address this health disparity, KHS will be awarding 5 schools in Kern County funding to implement a school wellness program that will engage students and stakeholders in activities that promote physical activity and healthy eating among each school’s student population.
Up to $35,000
April 3, 2017
Award Announcement Date
May 12, 2017
June 1, 2017 – July 15, 2018
KHS implemented two school walking and wellness programs during the 2015-2016 school year. Awardees of the 2017-2018 school year may follow KHS’ School Walking and Wellness Program (overview below), or they may create their own program to increase and encourage physical activity, water consumption, healthy eating, and other healthy habits.
KHS’ School Walking and Wellness Program encouraged students to track their steps daily using a provided pedometer, and step logs were collected on a monthly basis. Students who met the step goal for the month were rewarded with a T-shirt designed for the program. Step goals were established based on geographic milestones. The student’s steps were also added together in order to meet specific geographic milestones as a school each month (progress was tracked on a map). Other activities that promoted healthy behaviors included Fruit/Vegetable of the Month parties, a healthy cooking competition, encouraging water consumption during school hours, and weekly wellness messages sent to students and parents. If the school met all milestones by the end of the year, they were given a reward that could be used by the entire student body, and continue to encourage healthy behaviors (i.e. track, playground equipment, water filling stations, etc.). To evaluate the success of the program, BMI data was collected for each student by the school nurses. Data was collected at the start and end of the program. To receive a copy of KHS’ School Walking and Wellness Program Description, please email email@example.com
Eligibility and Criteria:
· Public schools that serve Medi-Cal beneficiaries and low income students are eligible to apply for funding.
· Public schools that serve students from Kindergarten up to 12th Grade.
· Schools that have previously participated in the KHS School Walking and Wellness Program will not be eligible to reapply.
· Eligible applicants must prepare and submit a completed School Wellness Grant Program application.
· Preference will be given to applicants that demonstrate readiness and motivation to successfully implement the program, commitment to the program at all levels (from administrative staff to teachers), ability to engage in regular communication with the program liaison, and plans for sustaining the program after the conclusion of the program.
· A public notice announcing the application period along with the grant application will be made available at www.kernfamilyhealthcare.com and mailed by request when made in writing. Click here to download a copy of the grant application.
· Completed applications must be submitted during the application period, and received no later than the application deadline, April 3, 2017.
· Applications should be emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Award Process and Evaluation:
The KHS Wellness Committee will review eligible applications, conduct follow-up interviews and make recommendations to the CEO for grant awards.
Upon successful completion of the program, awarded applicants will be required to submit an end of year grant money utilization report, as well as BMI data collected at the start and end of the school year. Monthly meetings and progress reports will also be required for the duration of the program.
Questions? Contact: email@example.com