Kern Health Systems’ commitment is to provide quality health care to our culturally and linguistically diverse member population. To assist providers in better communicating with patients that are limited in their English proficiency (LEP), KHS’ Marketing/Cultural and Linguistics Services Department is making the following resources available to you.
- Training: “Limited English Speaking Patients: How We Can Help You Meet Their Linguistic Needs” is available to all KHS contracted providers. To obtain additional information or to schedule a training session, please call Cynthia Cardona, Cultural & Linguistics Specialist, at 661-617-2498.
- Brochure: “Providing Quality Health Care to a Multicultural America”: Valuable information for health care providers and staff on how to effectively communicate with culturally and linguistically diverse members. Also included are steps and tips on how to request and use telephonic interpreters.
- Poster for Providers: Highlights how important it is to meet the needs of LEP patients and provides important steps to follow in doing so.
- Desk top displays: Language Line point to language ID display
- Better Communication, Better Care: Provider Tools to Care for Diverse Populations: The material tool kit was produced by a nation-wide team of health care professionals. The material will provide resources to address specific operational needs that often arise because of changing service requirements and legal mandates.
- Labels: Tool for providers to document patient’s language needs.
Preferred Language labels (yellow)
Use or refusal of interpreter services (green)
- Online Courses:
HRSA: Effective Communication Tools for Healthcare Professionals
Addressing Health Literacy, Cultural Competency, and Limited English Proficiency
If you need originals of the resources mentioned above, please call Cynthia Cardona, Cultural & Linguistics Specialist, at 661-617-2498.
Brochure for Providers
Poster for Providers
Point to Language ID Card
Provider Tool Kit
Cultural Competency Power Point Training
Preferred Language Labels
Interpreter Use Label